Some of you may or may not know that I have been handling Social Media for the Frisco Mercantile. I take photos of different vendor suites and/or items whenever I can…this is not something I have to do, but rather like to do. Plus it gives me something to post on the mercantile’s facebook page. And hey, it’s great practice for me! Although, a photography class would really come in handy!
Anyhow, I was actually asked to take some photos the other day and I was more than happy to oblige with the request. However, what I didn’t realize is that I was going to be shooting pic’s for an ad…and what’s more is that they wanted me to create the ad as well. I think I said yes before I even thought about whether or not I could actually do it. But I’m always up for a challenge, and decided to dive straight into the deep end of the pool;) While I don’t have photography or graphic design skills, I do have an eye for layout & design, and a passion for learning.
I had some help with staging a suite inside the mercantile (thank goodness), that already looked pretty great to begin with, but needed some changes for the ad. I then proceeded to take around 50 photos, because I figured at least 1 of them would have to turn out near perfect, right?! Well, I had 3 shots that turned out & we narrowed it down from there.
Now all I had to do was make it into an ad, which suddenly made me panic a little because my software knowledge is comprised of clicking everything I see until I get it to do what I want! I know this is not the best way to go about things, but it’s worked for me so far. And yes, I have tried to Google things, but 9 out of 10 times it just confuses me, I’m better at hands on. I ended up using Photoshop because I have a free version of it that came on my computer, and I haven’t renewed my monthly subscription for Illustrator, which is a far easier program to work with & what I used to create my paint labels (BTW, you can get a free trial of it online…used mine up already, darn it).
I finished the ad & posted it to facebook for all to see, but it turns out that I wasn’t quite done with it…that eye of mine just wasn’t completely satisfied, and I had to make some changes which got the big seal of approval. So, without further delay here is the final version (shown for the 1st time) which will be published in the July issues of Romantic Homes and Flea Market Decor.
It came out beautiful!! You did a fabulous job!!
Both the photography and layout 😉 imagine how
excited you will be to see it in print!!! Congratulations!!
Thank you so much Sherri 🙂